What do you get when you combine vanilla ice cream with espresso? Affogato.
This Italian dessert is very easy and all it takes is only two ingredients. This rich and creamy dessert is simple but looks fancy.
What is an Affogato?
It’s an Italian based dessert. In Italian, the word Affogato means drowned. This dessert is vanilla ice cream or vanilla gelato drowned in hot espresso.
Does it need to be espresso?
Of course not. We don’t have a fancy espresso maker so we just used some really strong coffee and it was just as delicious.
You don’t have to stick with the classic vanilla ice cream (or gelato) for this dessert and you can add more than just coffee to it. There are a variety of ways to put your own twist to the decadent dessert. You can also put a little bit of chocolate on top as we did, but there are many different ways to top of your affogato.
- Peppermint Ice Cream (for the holidays)
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Gelato
- Caramel Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- White Chocolate Curls
- Mocha Sauce
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- Hazelnut Spread (just melt some Nutella)
- Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans
- Dulce de Leche
- This dessert does not just have to be for adults you can make it for kids too.
Simply replace the coffee with some hot chocolate.
- 4 Shots of Espresso* or 3 cups of strong coffee *One-shot per glass
- Vanilla Ice Cream or Gelato
- Chocolate Shavings optional
- Scoop ice cream into a glass as many scoops as you like.
- Pour coffee over ice cream as much as you like. If you are using espresso pour one shot per glass.
We hope you give this recipe and try and let us know if you try the classic affogato or did you put your twist on it.
We hope you all enjoy! If you made this Affogato recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more drink recipes? You can find them here.