Picture it coming home after a long day, throwing on the sweatpants, watching some Netflix with a big bowl of mac and cheese. Well, we have the Mac and cheese part covered for you. A Baked Mac & Cheese to be exact.
Whenever someone mentions comfort food one thing comes to mind and that is Baked Mac and Cheese. We are not going to go into a whole post on why we chose Mac and cheese, but we are going to describe the deliciousness of this particular Mac and cheese. Now, this is not your ordinary Mac and cheese (how many times can we say Mac and cheese). Let’s start by talking about the two different kinds of cheeses that go into this recipe, Gruyere and cheddar cheese. We are also going to throw in a little ham which goes great with the two kinds of cheese it gives it a unique but delicious flavor. Last but not least on top of this mac and cheese parmesan bread crumbs topping.
Doesn’t that sound delicious?
The cheese makes the difference:
When it comes to making mac and cheese it is always good to use fresh cheese. We know it may be a little more pricey, but it is worth. It will taste so much better. Fresh cheese has a better taste then the processed cheese you will find at the store.
Ingredients you will need:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Gruyere Cheese (we have applewood gruyere cheese)
- White Pepper
- Ground Mustard (dry mustard)
- Parmesan Cheese
There is a lot of things you can add to this recipe. Here is a list of some things that come to mind:
- Green Chile
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Muenster Cheese
- Bacon Salt
- Hamburger Meat
- Cajun Seasoning
Baked Mac & Cheese
- 12 oz Pasta
- 3 - 3 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne
- 1/8 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 Tsp Dry Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the breadcrumbs and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° (F)
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- While pasta is cooking grab a large saucepan.
- Melt butter on medium heat until it foams then add in the flour. Stir together for 3 minutes.
- Add in the cayenne & white pepper. Stir until combined and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1 cup of milk and quickly stir.
- Add in the rest of the milk and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Once it is at a simmer, add in the nutmeg & salt. Stir and simmer on medium-low for 8 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the grated cheeses & dry mustard.
- Drain pasta and pour cooked pasta into a large baking dish.
- Add the cheese sauce covering all the pasta.
- Add in ham and stir together.
- Add extra cheese on top and add breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the top has been toasted or browned.
- Grab a fork and put on your favorite movie and enjoy!
Next time you enjoy your Netflix binge-athon we hope you enjoy it with this Mac and cheese.
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Baked Mac and Cheese recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more recipes? You can find them here.