We have a light and fluffy dessert to share with you today. It’s Black Forest Pavlova. A perfectly crispy chocolate pavlova topped with whipped cream, cherry compote, more cherries, and chocolate shavings. This dessert is light and great for Summer.
You may be asking, what is a pavlova?
A pavlova is a meringue-based cake. It’s a light dessert that is crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside. Usually topped with whipped cream and some sort of fruit.
This dessert is great when you are craving something sweet but don’t want anything heavy or too decadent. This pavlova is delicious but fair warning it may cause you to go back for more than one piece like we did. Shhh… that will be our little secret.
Now that we have you wanting a piece, time to get started on the recipe.
The first thing you want to do is to make sure that your mixing bowl and whisk are completely clean from any debris. What does that mean? Free from oils, grease, or crumbs. This will help the egg whites fluff up. If they are dirty it will flatten the meringue.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and add the egg whites into a medium-size bowl. Add in the salt and beat on high speed with an electric mixer or hand mixer. Gradually add in the sugar and keep the mixer on high speed until firm peaks begin to form. Whisk in some lemon juice but make sure not to over whisk. Then fold in the cocoa powder with a spatula again making sure not to over mix.
Pour the meringue onto the baking sheet and form a round shape that is about 3 inches high for the height. We spread our meringue out to about an inch and a half which is a little thin. It still tasted amazing but we recommend trying to go for the 3 inches in height for your meringue.
Bake in the oven for an hour and fifteen minutes. MAKE SURE NOT TO OPEN THE OVEN DOOR! Once your timer has gone off DO NOT take it out. Turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for one hour. AGAIN, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!
While the pavlova is sitting in the oven we will start on the cherry compote. This is easy. The first thing we are going to do is remove the pits for the cherries (If your cherries have pits). In a small saucepan add the cherries, sugar, and water and oil on high for about two minutes. Mash the cherries and allow the compote to simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and allow to come it to room temperature.
After the pavlova has been sitting in the oven for one hour remove and set aside. We are moving onto the homemade whipped cream to top it off. In a mixing bowl add cold heavy cream, sugar, and a splash of vanilla on high speed. Whip until stiff peaks start to form.
It’s now time to assemble everything.
Carefully spread the whipped cream on top of the pavlova. Top that with the cherry compote on top of the whipped cream. Add fresh cherries on top of that and sprinkle with some shaved dark chocolate pieces over everything.
Isn’t that a pretty looking dessert? Now just cut yourself a slice and enjoy.
Black Forest Pavlova
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 Cup Cherries Cut in half
- 1 Cup Cold Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Splash of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 300° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- On high speed whisk together the egg whites and salt until they start to create soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar until the mixture creates stiff peaks. Add in the lemon juice and whisk until incorporated.
- Sift in cocoa powder at the corner of the bowl and fold into the meringue mixture. BE SURE NOT TO OVERMIX.
- Pour the meringue onto the lined baking sheet creating a round shape that is about 2 inches high. Place into the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- After the 1 hour and 15 minutes turn off the oven WITHOUT OPENING THE DOOR and leave the pavlova in the turned-off oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a small saucepan add in all the ingredients and boil on high heat for about 2 minutes. Mash the cherries and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer or hand mixer whip together the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add whipped cream on top of the pavlova then add the cherry compote on top of the whipped cream. Add some fresh cherries and chocolate shaving if you like. Then cut yourself a slice and enjoy.
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Black Forest Pavlova recipe tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.