It’s peach season! We were looking for something to make that included peaches. We were originally were going to make popsicles but that fell through (we are still planning on making those this Summer) in the meantime, we are going to make Bourbon Peach Crisp. Peach Crisp is the perfect summer dessert. This recipe is the perfect size for two.
Now we are all about sharing desserts, but sometime’s you don’t want to make a big recipe that is meant for 8 when it is just you and a friend. That’s why we love making mini desserts. We had some peaches at our house and wanted to use them before they got bad. We were between a peach crisp or peach pie. As you know we went for the peach crisp. It was something we never made from scratch before and it came out pretty good.
To start you will need three ripe peaches.
A few tips for when picking out peaches.
Make sure they are not firm. They should be soft but not too soft. This means they are ripe. The less firm they are the more sweetness they have, which means the peachier the flavor they will have. Another tip is if you bought peaches that are a little firm leave them unwashed and at room temperature, this will give them a chance to ripen.
After picking out our peaches and they are ripe, it’s time to dive into the recipe.
We are going to start with the crisp topping first. In a small bowl add the oats, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and pecans, stir together. Add in the butter. Make sure the butter is chopped into cubes this will make it easier when we mix it together. Using a pastry cutter to mix in the butter with the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (F). While the oven is preheating slice the peaches then set aside. In either a small cast iron skillet or a small frying pan melt the butter on low heat. After the butter has melted add both sugars, flour, vanilla extract, and bourbon. Stir together and let it simmer for 2 – 3 minutes. Making sure to stir constantly so it does not burn. If not the sugars will start bubbling over and make a huge sticky mess. We don’t want a pan of burnt sugar.
After letting the sugar mixture simmer add in the peaches. Stir everything together for 1 minute and remove from heat. If you are using a cast iron skillet keep the mixture in the skillet if you are using a saucepan transfer the peach filling into an oven-safe dish.
Sprinkle the topping we made earlier on top of the peach filling. Place it in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes until it is golden brown. Make sure to keep an eye on it so it does not burn.
Serve immediately. Top with some whipped cream or a big scoop of ice cream. Now, grab a spoon and dig in.
Bourbon Peach Crisp for Two
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 8 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 3 Fresh Peaches Sliced
- 3 Tbsp Old Fashioned Oats
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp + ¼ Tsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 ½ Tbsp Cold Butter, Cubed
- 3 Tbsp Pecans, Chopped
- In a small bowl add oats, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and pecans. Stir together
- Add butter. Using a pastry cutter mix butter with the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425° (F). Melt butter in either a cast iron skillet or small frying pan on low heat.
- Once butter is melted add both sugars, vanilla extract, bourbon, and flour. Stir together and let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. Stirring constantly. **Make sure to stir constantly so it does not burn.**
- After letting the sugar mixture simmer add in the peaches.
- Stir everything together for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- If you are using a cast iron skillet keep the mixture in the skillet. If you are using a saucepan transfer the peach filling into an oven-safe dish.
- Sprinkle the topping onto top of the peach filling.
- Place it in the oven for 25 - 35 minutes until it is golden brown. **Make sure to keep an eye on it so it does not burn.**
- Serve Immediately. Top with some whipped cream or a big scoop of ice cream. Grab a spoon and dig in.
We really hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you make this Bourbon Peach Crisp recipe be sure to take a picture and tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here