Classic coffee cake with fresh cherries in the batter with a buttery cinnamon crumble topping. This recipe is easy and is absolutely delicious. This Cherry Coffee Cake is not just for breakfast it makes a great dessert too.
How to make Cherry Coffee Cake
First, we’ll start with the ingredients. There are no fancy ingredients that go into this coffee cake. You probably already have most of the ingredients already in your kitchen pantry. Here is what you will need:
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Plain Greek yogurt- this is what makes the cake nice and moist.
- Red cherries- the star of the show.
This is a one-bowl crumb topping that is so simple you’ll be done in a flash. Just mix together the flour, both sugars, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. You can also add in some almond extract for a bit of extra flavor is you want but this is totally optional. Stir until everything is combined. Place in the refrigerator until it is ready to be used.
To make this cake you’ll start by whisking together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Using an electric standing mixer with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar together. Next, add in the vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, and eggs. Mix until well combined. Then slowly add in the dry ingredients.
Gently fold in the pitted cherries.
There are two baking pan options you can use for your coffee cake an 8×8 inch square baking pan or an 8-inch round baking pan. Either one will work with the coffee cake. After choosing your pan spray with non-stick cooking spray and a light dusting of flour all around the pan. Pour in your batter. Top with crumb topping.
Preheat the oven to 375° degrees Farenheight and bake for 30-35 minutes. Allow it too cool completely before removing out of the pan.
A few helpful tips:
- Be sure that your cherries are completely dry after washing them before adding them to the batter.
- Don’t over mix the batter because it will cause the cake to get tough.
- The crumb topping could be made the day before to make this recipe even fast.
- Don’t try to take the cake out when it is still warm. This can cause the cake to break apart.
- Don’t have any cherries? No problem any fruit will work in this cake.
Now that your cake is done all that is left is to sit down with a cup of hot coffee and enjoy.
Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Butter melted
- 1½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Cherries pitted
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping. Mix until a crumble starts to form. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375° Farenheight. Spray an 8-inch round baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, yogurt, and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and there are no lumps.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the cherries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Allow it to cool completely.
*The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
We don’t link any products that we don’t use ourselves.*
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Cherry Coffee Cake recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more cake recipes? You can find them here.