Spicy green chile cheese dip is a perfect snack for the Summer. This creamy white cheese dip is flavorful with a spicy kick. You are going to love this dip because it is a quick snack to make and easy too.
This recipe is special for us because this is our mom’s recipe with a few minor tweaks. Our mom has been making chile con queso for a long time now. Any family gathering, she always makes this. We thought it was our turn to make it. We used her original recipe but put our own spin on it.
This cheese dip is creamy with a spicy kick. Great as an appetizer for when you have guests over.
Get the chips ready and let’s get into making some chile con queso.
This post is sponsored by Sabor Mexicano Chips. Our opinions are 100% our own. We do not sponsor anything that we don’t use ourselves.
The ingredients you will need:
- Monterrey Cheese
- Evaporated Milk
- Green Chile
- Garlic Salt
Tips on picking green chile:
There are many variations of green chile and each one has a different heat of spiciness. Depending on what we have on hand in our house we have used all kinds of green chile.
- Hatch Green Chile– This one is our mom’s favorite chile to use. It is easily accessible to her living near New Mexico. It is pretty spicy especially if you don’t take the seeds out. If you want your queso to be a little bit more spicy try hatch green chile.
- Jalapenos– Another great pick. Jalapenos are great when you want spice but not too much. Just make sure they are not the nacho jalapenos you get in a can. Those will give you a different taste.
- Fire Roasted Green Chile- This is the kind we used for our recipe today. We just picked up a few cans of these at Target. We choose this chile because it’s a milder but with a small kick.
- Ghost Pepper– Want to make it extremely spicy you can try adding some ghost pepper. Try at your own risk.
What is dip without the chips?
Nothing goes better with this queso than some tortilla chips. The tortilla chips that we want to talk about today are from Sabor Mexicano. They are homemade tortilla chips made with ingredients from the owner Jorge Saldana’s farm in Sonoma County.
We’ve got to say we’ve tried a lot of tortilla chips from different brands and these tortilla chips are amazing. They taste delicious and pair perfectly with this Chile Con Queso.
Sometimes when you buy tortilla chips from the store you can taste the starch (or lard) that are in the chips but not with these.
Sabor Mexicano chips are minimally processed and are carefully cultivated without GMOs, pesticides, or harmful chemicals.
Sabor Mexicano doesn’t just sell tortilla chips they also make homemade kettle papitas (aka kettle chips). If you give these chips a try we definitely recommend starting with the tortilla chips (they have been our favorite so far).
You can find Sabor Mexicano chips are your local Whole Foods.
Chile Con Queso
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onions, diced
- 6 oz Evaporated Milk
- 7 oz Can of Green Chile
- 2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onions. Saute the onions for about 3-5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the green chile and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the evaporated milk and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and garlic salt. Continue stirring until all the cheese has melted.
- Grab some tortilla chips and enjoy!
Follow us on Instagram @wonderandcharm and use the #wonderandcharm if you made this Chile Con Queso recipe. We love to see your photos.
Looking for more recipes? You can find them here.