We absolutely love chocolate, who doesn’t? This chocolate bread pudding is cozy and delectable especially topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This recipe takes no time at all to make it is simple and take delicious.
Now we are going, to be honest with you. This is the first time we’ve ever made bread pudding, in fact, it is the first time we’ve ever tasted it. We got say it didn’t disappoint. It almost tasted like a chocolate croissant (which we love). We’ve been wanting to try different desserts that we have never tried making before. We have been experimenting more with our baking to not only grow our skills but to try new things too. That is what this blog is all about learning new things.
Anyways you are not here to learn why we are making something. You are here for this Chocolate Bread Pudding. So let’s grab an apron, bowl, and whisk and get into this recipe
The key ingredients in bread pudding you guessed it, is the bread. We used brioche bread you can also use French bread but because we had brioche bread in the house we decided to use that. Brioche bread is a little sweeter and thicker than normal white bread which makes it perfect for this dessert.
The chocolate we kind of played around with. We didn’t want this dessert to be too sweet. We used semi-sweet chocolate for the mixture and sprinkled a bit on bit bittersweet chocolate on top. It gave it a nice mix of chocolate without being too sweet.
The ingredients you will need are:
- Brioche Bread
- Chocolate Chips (Semi-sweet & bittersweet)
- Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder
- You will also need a 1 – 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Medium Heat Proof Bowl
- Small Sauce Pan
We are going to start by prepping the pan with some butter making sure to coat the pan well.
Next, we are going to chop up some bread into small chunks and place them into the baking dish along with ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Set that aside for until we make our custard mixture
In a small saucepan on low heat add the sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder,1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and ½+ ¼ cups of milk. Whisk together until the chocolate has melted and the mixture has become thick.
Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and add in the salt, vanilla eggs, and remaining milk. Whisk together until well combined.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the bread that is in the prepared pan.
Let the mixture soak into the bread for 35 minutes.
After is has soaked pre-hear the oven to 325 degrees (F).
Sprinkle ¼ cup of bittersweet chocolate chips on top
Bake for 45-50 minutes
Let it cool for 20 minutes before serving,
Serve, and top off with some vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3¼ Cups Brioche Bread, chopped into chunks
- 3/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1½ Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Instant Espresso Powder
- Prep a baking dish with butter.
- In the prepared baking dish add the bread and 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a small saucepan on low har add in the sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 3/4 cups of milk.
- Whisk together until the chocolate chips have melted and the mixture has become thick.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a heatproof bowl add in the salt, eggs, vanilla extract, and the remaining milk. Whisk together until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over bread in the prepared pan.
- Let the mixture soak into the bread for 35 minutes.
- After the bread has soaked preheat the over to 325°(F)
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of bittersweet of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes
- Let it cool for 20 minutes
- Serve and top off with some vanilla ice cream and dig in!
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.