Whenever Valentine’s Day comes around one thing pops into our heads and that is CHOCOLATE. As it probably does for everyone. So today we wanted to share our Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream recipe with you all. This recipe is perfect because it makes just enough for two. It’s creamy chocolate ice cream with chunks of maraschino cherries and cherry preserves swirled in. This ice cream is so delicious that you may not want to share.
Let’s get started making ourselves some ice cream shall we?
We want to start by saying you will need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
The ingredients you will need:
- Whole Milk
- An Egg
- Vanilla Extract- Our favorite is from Nielsen Massey
- Heavy Cream
- Cocoa Powder- We personally like the Ghirardelli Dutch Processed Cocoa
- Maraschino Cherries (drained)
- Cherry Preserves- We used Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves.
Tools you will need:
- Ice Cream Maker- We have the Cuisinart Flavor Duo Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker.
- A Medium Saucepan
- A Heatproof/freezer-safe Medium Size Bowl
- Instant read thermometer
This has been our go-to ice cream base recipe for most of our ice cream recipes. It has not failed us yet.
How to make the Ice Cream
Step 1: In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat add the milk, egg, and sugar. Whisk constantly until everything is combined and the temperature reaches 175° (F).
*Tip: Make sure that when you add the egg that you are stirring constantly. The reason for this is because if you leave the egg and don’t whisk it into the milk and sugar it will begin to cook. And no one wants scrambled eggs in their ice cream.
Step 2: Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract, heavy cream, and cocoa powder.
- Tip: This is completely optional, but if you shift the cocoa powder before adding it to the mixture it will prevent the cocoa powder from clumping together when you stir it together.
Step 3: Add the mixture to a medium-size heatproof bowl.
Step 4: Place in the freezer for two hours.
Step 5: Add the mixture to your ice cream maker. Churn according to the instructions on your ice cream maker.
Step 6: Five minutes before the time ice cream is done churning add the maraschino cherries, and the cherry preserves.
Step 7: You can eat it right then and there or you can place it in the freezer for 2-4 hours to freeze a little more. We let it freeze a little longer it has a better texture.
Now you have a pint of chocolate cherry ice cream waiting for you in the freezer. The only question now is a bowl or a cone? Give us a nice chilled ice cream bowl any day.
Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2Tbsp + 2Tsp Cocoa Powder You can also sift the cocoa powder to get fewer clumps.
- 1/4 Cup Maraschino Cherries, drained
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Preserves We used Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low add the milk, egg, and sugar. Whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 175° (F). *Make sure to stir constantly because if not the eggs will begin to cook. And no one wants scrambled eggs in their ice cream.
- Remove from heat. Add the vanilla extract, heavy cream, and cocoa powder. * You can sift the cocoa powder if you want less clumps.
- Add the mixture to a heat-proof and freezer safe bowl.
- Place in the freezer for two hours.
- Churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
- 5 minutes before the churning process is done add the maraschino cherries and cherry preserves.
- You can eat the ice cream right away or place it in the freezer for 2-4 hours to let it freeze a bit more.
If you tried this Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram using the hashtag #wonderandcharm
Looking for more ice cream recipes? You can find them here.