A slice of this Chocolate Cream Tart is a slice of chocolate heaven. This tart has chocolate cream filling inside an Oreo cookie crust topped with fresh homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
It is easy to make although it does take some time to set it is well worth the wait. Trust us.
Now that we have your mouths watering let’s get started.
Ingredients you will need:
- Whole Milk
- Egg Yolks
- Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
- Instant Espresso Powder
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Vegetable Shortening
Tools you will need:
- Tart Pan
- Food Processor
- Baking Sheet
- Hand Mixer
We are going to start by baking our crust. One of our favorite crust has to be Oreo because you can pretty much have it with anything and we always know that it is going to taste delicious. Paired with this chocolate cream filling it is absolutely amazing.
Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grabbing a food processor go ahead and crush the Oreos until they have become fine crumbs. Then add in the melted butter and mix together.
Press firmly the cookie crumbs into the tart pan creating an even layer. Bake for 10-14 minutes and then let it cool.
Tips for the cookie crust:
- Do not over bake the crust. If you over bake the crust it will become too hard and difficult to slice into.
- Don’t add too much butter. This will make the crust soggy and very greasy.
- To firmly press the cookie crumbs into the pan, use the back of a measuring cup or spoon.
Chocolate Cream Filling:
As the crust is cooling we can get started on the chocolate filling for our tart. Like we mentioned before this chocolate filling is really delicious is it chocolaty and creamy without being too sweet. You could say it is kind of like chocolate mousse.
Making the cream filling may seem intimidating but it is really easy to make. Don’t get scared we will add tips along the way.
In a medium saucepan on medium heat whisk together the sugar and milk until combined. Let it sit, to slightly simmer and stir frequently. Do not let it reach a high boil.
Add the egg yolks and cornstarch into a medium bowl and whisk them together.
Once the milk mixture has simmered we are going to temper the egg yolks. Add in a few tablespoons (3 tablespoons) of the milk mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Add in a few more (3 more tablespoons) again whisking constantly.
Slowly pour the tempered egg yolks into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture. Whisk together until the mixture reaches a soft boil and has become thick.
Remove from heat and add in the butter, espresso powder, vanilla extract, chocolate chips. Stir together until completely combined.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the cooled tart crust. Smooth out the chocolate into an even layer.
Cover with plastic wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for 5 hours or overnight to set.
Tips for the chocolate filling:
- As you are adding in the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk it is IMPORTANT to whisk constantly because if you let it sit in the bowl it will start cooking the eggs. Creating scrambled eggs which is what we don’t want.
- It is important that all the chocolate is combined because you don’t want chunks of chocolate in your tart filling.
Chocolate shaving can me made two days in advance. This step is optional but it gives the tart that extra touch.
Place a baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Melt some chocolate and the vegetable shortening in a small bowl in 30-second increments until all the vegetable shortening has melted.
Mix together with a fork. Pour the chocolate onto the back of the chilled baking sheet. Spread into a think layer. You will notice it is starting to get harder to smooth out. When the chocolate starts to harden but still warm (you should be able to leave a dent when you push your finger into it) grab a bench scraper or sharp knife and at a 45-degree angle scrape the chocolate. It should start breaking apart.
Place the chocolate shaving on a baking dish or bowl and place in the freezer to harden.
In a medium bowl add the COLD heavy cream. Using a hand mixer beat the cream until soft peaks form.
Then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Once the tart has set place the whipped cream on top. You can use a piping bag like we did or spoon it on top.
Add on the chocolate shaving and you are done.
All there is left to do is to serve yourself a big piece and enjoy it!
Chocolate Cream Tart
- 24 Oreos
- 5 Tbsp Butter, melted
Chocolate Cream Filling
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2½ Cups Whole Milk
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 6 Tbsp Butter, cubed
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Instant Espresso Powder
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream, cold
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 oz Chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Shortening
Oreo Cookie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350° (F)
- Using a food processor crush the Oreos into fine crumbs.
- Add in the melted butter and mix together.
- In a tart pan, add the crushed Oreos and firmly press into the tart pan evenly.
- Bake for 10- 14 minutes. Set aside to cool. (If it looks puffy don't worry it will go down. This happened to us because we used the Most Stuffed Oreos which have a lot more cream).
Chocolate Cream Filling
- In a medium saucepan, on medium heat whisk together the sugar & milk until combined. Let it sit to slightly simmer, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks & cornstarch.
- Once the milk mixture has simmered slightly add a few tablespoons (3 tablespoons) of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk together CONSTANTLY. Keep adding a few tablespoons (3 more tablespoons) to temper the eggs (don't use all the hot milk mixture).
- Slowly pour the tempered egg yolks into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture.
- Whisk together until the mixture reaches a soft boil and has become thick.
- Remove from the heat and add in the butter, espresso powder, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips. Stir together until completely combined.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cooled tart crust. Smooth out the chocolate into an even layer.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for 5 hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl add in the COLD heavy cream beat until soft peaks form.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until medium peaks form.
- Let it chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place a baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl microwave, the chocolate and vegetable shortening in 30-second increments until the shortening has melted.
- Mix together with a fork.
- Using the back of the chilled cookie sheet, spread out the chocolate into a thin layer.
- As the chocolate begins to harden but is still slightly warm (should be able to make a dent in the chocolate when you press your finger into it). Using a bench scraper or sharp knife scrape the chocolate at a 45-degree angle. Chocolate pieces should begin to break apart.
- Place the chocolate pieces in the freezer for a couple of hours to harden. You can make these two days in advance.
- Once the chocolate tart has set, spoon or pipe on the whipped cream and sprinkle the chocolate shavings on top.
- All there is left to do it enjoy!
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Chocolate Cream Tart recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.