Chocolate custard ice cream with tasty swirls of peanut butter and peanuts.
What is custard ice cream?
Custard ice cream aka frozen custard is similar to ice cream but it made with eggs along with heavy cream and sugar. It is stirred until thick then frozen. Custard ice cream usually has a thicker consistency than ice cream.
How to make chocolate custard ice cream.
If you thinking that making custard-style ice cream is hard we’ll let you in on a little secret. When we first thought about making custard ice cream we thought it is going to be way too hard and that we should just stick to traditional ice cream recipes but let us tell you it is not hard at all.
We are going to share with you a few little tips to help on your way to making some delicious custard ice cream.
Ready to get started?
Ingredients you will need:
- Whole milk
- Heavy cream
- Egg yolks
- Cocoa powder. We recommend Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Ground Cocoa Powder.
- Vanilla extract
- Creamy peanut butter
Tools that you will need:
- Ice cream maker
- Freezer-safe bowl
- Instant-read thermometer
A few helpful tips:
- When it comes time to incorporate the warm cream mixture to the eggs vigorously whisk while pouring. This will prevent the eggs from cooking and turning into scrambled eggs.
- Don’t want to whisk by hand? You can use an electric mixer. Just have the mixer running on medium-high speed then slowly pour the cream mixture down the side of the bowl. Keep mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Don’t put your ice cream in your ice cream maker if it is frozen solid. This can damage your ice cream maker. Allow it to soften before churning in your ice cream maker.
Don’t feel like peanut butter and chocolate? No problem here is a couple of other flavor ideas.
- Fudge sauce
- Brownie pieces
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Smooth Peanut Butter melted
- 1/3 cup Peanuts
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the milk and heavy cream together and bring to a low simmer.
- In a separate bowl add the egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. Whisk until fully combined.
- Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture over the egg mixture whisking vigorously while pouring.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken. Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Allow it to come to room temperature.
- Pour into a freezer-safe bowl, cover, and allow it to freeze for 45 minutes.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container.
- Pour the peanut butter and peanuts over the ice cream and swirl them in with a spoon.
- Allow it to freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
*The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
We don’t link any products that we don’t use ourselves.*
We hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you try this recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? You can find them here.