Flaky, buttery puff pastry and filled with cinnamon apple goodness and drizzled with cream cheese icing.
We have been trying to take it a bit slower with recipe development to focus on our skills as bakers. As it is a brand the new year of 2020 it a great time for a fresh start. We want to be more intentional with our recipes that we are sharing quality versus quantity. We have also working on some exciting new things as well that we can’t wait to share, but first, let us share with you all this Apple Puff Pastry. This puff pastry is super simple, quick and easy. The best part it only takes a few ingredients. It’s may look like it takes a while to make but really only about 30 minutes. It’s a great crowd-pleaser too.
Ready to make this Apple Puff Pastry? Tie up the apron strings and let’s begin.
- Crunch Pak sliced apples
- 1 Sheet Frozen Puff Pastry
- Brown Sugar
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
Now comes the easy part. Putting it all together. First, we are going to start with the cream cheese glaze.
Making sure the cream cheese has had time to soften, we are going to mix together with the cream cheese is the cinnamon, some butter, vanilla extract, cardamom, and powdered sugar. That is it! How quick was that? Now we are going to put set that aside until we are ready to use it.
For the puff pastry. We are going to let you in on a secret this is super easy too, it will take no time at all. Let’s start with the apples. Grabbing a large bowl we are going to pour the apples, the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. Mix everything together until all the apples are coated. Then we are going to take the puff pastry sheet and cut it into three sections. You can use all three or just one it is up to you. This recipe does make three but you can just cut the recipe in half to fit how many sheets you want to use.
We always use to skip this step when we first learned how to bake. It was not until we had got to culinary school that we actually started implementing it into our baking. This step is what is going to give your baked good that nice golden look to it. For this recipe, all there is to do is mix one egg, add a splash of vanilla extract, and a splash of milk.
We will then place the sheets onto a baking sheet, then brush on some egg wash (egg with a splash of vanilla with a little milk) and lay the apples neatly right on top of the pastry puff sheet making sure to leave some room on the edges.
Next, we are going to place the puff pastry tarts in a 425 degrees (F) oven for 20 – 25 minutes. After they are baked and golden let them cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
Once the puff pastry has cooled it is now time to drizzle on the cream cheese glaze. Then after they are drizzled to perfection these guys are ready to be cut and served. If you want to take these up a notch just add some ice cream on top. Dessert is now served and all there is to do now is dig in.
Cinnamon Apple Puff Pastry
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 1½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp Cardamom
Apple Puff Pastry
- 1½ Cup Crunch Pak Sliced Apple You can use regular apples too. Each pastry takes about 7 apple slices each.
- Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets, defrosted
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Brown Sugar
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a small bowl add in the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, cardamom, and powdered sugar. Mix together until combined. If it is still stiff add a splash of milk. If it too runny add a little powdered sugar. Set aside.
Apple Puff Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 425° (F) Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the sliced apples. Add in the cinnamon mixture and with a wooden spoon mix together until all the apples are coated.
- Cut the thawed puff pastry into 2- 3 long strips & place on a baking sheet.
- Egg Wash: In a small bowl, mix together the egg, a splash of vanilla, and a splash of milk until combined.
- Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the coated apples neatly onto the puff pastry leaving about 3/4 inch border around the edge (if you can, if not just leave some room on the edges).
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden.
- Let it cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once cooled drizzle glaze over the puff pastry.
- Cut, serve, and dig in!
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Cinnamon Apple Puff Pastry recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.