We can’t believe how fast February is approaching. It seems like only yesterday we were celebrating New Year’s Day. Since it is getting into the month of February that means it is time for some Valentine’s day recipes. Of course, that means chocolate. Today we want to share with you our Dark Chocolate Strawberry Panna Cotta.
For this dessert, we will be using Nestle Toll House’s new Artisan Collection Premium Baking Chips in Extra Dark Chocolate. These baking chips are rich in flavor and taste delicious.
This post is sponsored by Nestle Toll House. We want to say thank you for Nestle Toll House for partnering with us to create this recipe. We are not being paid for this post and our opinion is 100% our own.
Now this year we are determined to branch out learn new things when it comes to baking and cooking. We want to challenge ourselves by baking things that we have never made or always wanted to make. Panna cotta has been one of these challenges. The first time we had it was at Disney’s California Adventure at Wine Country Trattoria. Since then we always wanted to try to make it but never really got around to doing it. This year we decided to take the time to learn. At first, we were a little intimidated but what we came to find out is that it is really easy.
The panna cotta we will be making today is a dark chocolate panna cotta with strawberry sauce. It is a creamy dessert with a rich chocolate flavor and the strawberry sauce pairs great. This recipe makes about 4 cups depending on the size you use. Let us show you how to make it.
What is Panna Cotta?
Panna cotta is an Italian dessert. In Italian Panna Cotta actually means ‘cooked cream’. It is a light, creamy gelatin dessert that can be made into many different flavors. We are hoping to also try a vanilla and berries panna cotta. This dessert is simple to make and it will definitely leave an impression of a fancy dessert when people see it.
You don’t need too many ingredients to make panna cotta. For this recipe you will need:
- Whole Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Espresso Powder
- Gelating Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Dark Chocolate (we used Nestle Toll House’s Artisan Collection Extra Dark Chocolate Baking Chips)
Ingredients for the Strawberry Sauce:
- Lemon Juice
- Hand Blender
How to Make the Panna Cotta:
Don’t get scared now! The steps to this recipe are simple. Let’s start with the strawberry sauce that way we can set that aside and it is ready to go when we need it.
Start by slicing up some strawberries. In a small saucepan on medium heat add in the sliced strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar. Mix together until everything is combined. Let the mixture sit, stirring occasionally until it reaches a boil.
After it has reached a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally this is going to thicken up our sauce.
Once it has thickened, remove from the heat and let it cool a bit for about 15 minutes. Using a hand blender puree the strawberries until it has become smooth. You are all done with the strawberry sauce. Cover and place it in the refrigerator until we are ready to use it.
Chocolate Panna Cotta:
Then we are going to make the gelatin. Grab a small bowl add in ½ tablespoon of gelatin powder and 2 tablespoons of COLD water mix together. Let that sit for 7 – 10 minutes to until it has become thick.
As the gelatin is thickening we can start on the chocolate part of the panna cotta.
In a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the heavy cream, milk, espresso powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk together until the sugar has dissolved. Let the mixture reach a small simmer, but DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
Remove the cream mixture from the heat. Add in the vanilla extract and the chocolate chips. Whisk together until all the chocolate has melted.
Next, add in the gelatin mixture into the chocolate cream mixture and whisk until it has dissolved.
Preparing the Cups:
Don’t let the title of this portion scare you there is nothing to it when it comes to preparing the cups. You can simply pour the chocolate mixture into the dessert cups, but we want to tell you how to prepare the cups like we have done (slanted).
For us, we used a small brownie pan (8×8”) placed a towel in the pan to hold up the glasses/cups. Places the glasses or cups into the pan slanting over. Making sure that the glasses are secure. Then pour in the chocolate mixture into the glasses.
After pouring the chocolate mixture into the glasses place them in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight to set.
Adding the Strawberry Sauce:
After you have let the chocolate panna cotta set, you can now pour in the strawberry sauce on top of the chocolate panna cotta. You can place them in the refrigerator or eat them right away.
See how easy that was. You now have a beautiful looking dessert that took no effort at all (but people won’t have to know that). This dessert is now ready for you to dive into. We hope you enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Strawberry Panna Cotta
Chocolate Panna Cotta
- 1/2 Tbsp Gelatin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Water, cold
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Instant Espresso Powder 1 packet if using the small packets.
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips We used Nestle Toll House Artisan Collection Extra Dark Baking Chips
- 1 Carton or 25 Strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, add in the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Mix everything together and let the mixture sit until it reaches a boil. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 25 minutes, stir occasionally. The mixture should start thickening.
- Once it has thickened remove from heat and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender puree until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Chocolate Panna Cotta
- In a small bowl, add the gelatin powder and water, mix together. Let it sit for 7 -10 minutes until thick.
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, add the heavy cream, milk, espresso powder, sugar, and salt. Mix together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring it to a simmer. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Add in the vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- Whisk together until the chocolate has melted. Make sure all the chocolate has melted.
- Add in the gelatin mixture. Whisk together until it has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into dessert cups or small glasses.
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the chocolate panna cotta has set, add the strawberry sauce on top.
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Dark Chocolate Strawberry Panna Cotta recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.