The easiest and the best French Toast you will ever have. Delicious cinnamon egg soaked Brioche bread grilled to golden perfection and topped with your favorite topping.
Does anyone else ever get the craving for breakfast for dinner? Usually, we make pancakes but we had a loaf of Brioche bread in the pantry so we decided why not make some French Toast? We don’t really eat stuff like pancakes or French toast in the mornings for breakfast because one it takes a bit more time to make than our usual oatmeal. Two we don’t like eating sugary stuff for breakfast that much because we hate the way we feel during the day just running on sugar. So when we don’t have dinner breakfast (is that a word?) it is a treat for us.
How to make French Toast
There are so many ways to make French Toast. You can bake it, fry it, or cook it on the griddle. Today we are going to be using the griddle. If you don’t have a griddle a frying pan will work just as well.
The first thing that we are going to do is make sure we have some day-old bread. The key to making good French toast is day-old bread. This will help soak the egg much better than fresh bread. Fresh bread will get too soggy and not hold the egg mixture as well.
The other ingredients you will need are:
- Heavy Cream
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
Now to make this recipe it is really easy. Heat your griddle or frying pan on medium heat. Combine everything except the butter in a medium-size bowl and whisk until well combined.
Next, melt some butter on the griddle. Be sure to add enough so the bread does not stick to the griddle. Quickly dip the bread into the egg mixture. Make sure that you don’t soak the bread but dip it enough that is had a good amount of egg mixture on it.
The reason why we don’t soak it even if we are using day-old bread is because it can get way too soggy and start to break apart. Cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with your favorite toppings. We stuck with the traditional powdered sugar, butter, and maple syrup but you can top your french toast with whatever you want.
Here are some suggestions:
- Fresh fruit
- Whipped cream
- Fruit compote- a cherry compote just like the one we made for our Black Forest Pavlova would be great on top of these.
- If you are feeling a little crazy you can even add your favorite cereal like Fruity Pebbles.
- Chocolate Chips
- Caramel sauce. We have a great caramel sauce recipe in our Salted Caramel Apple Loaf Cake Recipe.
- Crème anglaise
- 8 Slices Brioche Bread Day-old
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Butter For the griddle
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat griddle on medium heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in cinnamon and sugar.
- Melt some butter on the griddle to prevent the french toast from sticking.
- Dip each bread slice into the egg mixture. Make sure it is well coated. DO NOT SOAK IT. Place on the griddle and cook each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with your favorite topping and enjoy.
We hope you enjoy it. If you made this French Toast recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? You can find them here.