This fun homemade single layer Funfetti cake is simple to make. It tastes incredible as well you’ll never go for that at boxed Funfetti cake mix again.
Is it just us or is a Funfetti cake just one of the happiest looking cakes out there? It has to do with the sprinkles. They just make this cake looks so festive. What are we celebrating you ask? We are celebrating our 30th birthday!
We can’t believe that we are turning 30. Our twenties went by so fast. Of course, there were a few ups and downs but mostly good things. Like us graduating college, adopting our first shelter dog, business ventures and of course beginning our journey into food photography.
Not only are we celebrating our birthday this month but also our blog’s first anniversary was on April 10th.
Let start the celebration by making this delicious Funetti cake shall we.
- Cake flour
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Almond extract
- Square 8-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Electric mixer with a paddle attachment and a whisk attachment
- Double boiler
- Instant read thermometer
- Make sure that the butter for both the cake and the frosting is at room temperature or 60 degrees Farenheight. This will make it easier to combine with the other ingredients.
- Separate your eggs one at a time for the frosting. After separating the egg yolk and egg white put the egg white into the mixing bowl you are going to be using. Then repeat with the next egg. This is to prevent the whole batch of egg whites from being ruined. Dump the egg white into a separate bowl just in case a yolk breaks you won’t have to start from scratch.
- Use an instant-read thermometer. This will come in very handy to not only check the butter temperature but to check the temperature of the egg whites and the sugar once they are done cooking.
- After pouring the batter into the pan pound it a little on the countertop to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Let the parchment paper hang off the sides of the pan. This will make it easier to remove after the cake is done baking.
All done. You now have a delicious Funfetti cake that is ready to be devoured.
- 1½ cups +3 tbsp Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup Butter Softened
- 1 cup+2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup+2 tbsp Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Sprinkles
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter cubed and soften to 60°Farenheight
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheight. Line an 8- inch square cake pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl add the cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
- Using an electric standing mixer with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add one egg in at a time and beat together until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Switch to the whisk attachment. Add in half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Whisk until combined.
- Add the buttermilk and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients. Then fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Clean your mixing bowl with lemon juice.
- Whisk together the sugar and egg whites in a double boiler over medium heat. Don't let the water touch the pan.
- Whisk the egg whites until the sugar has completely dissolved. It will thin out and create a foamy head. Using a thermometer make sure the temperature reads 160° Farenheight.
- Transfer to an electric standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 15 minutes or until stiff peaks start to form.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Bring the bowl back to the mixer. This time use the paddle attachment. On medium-high speed add the 60° Farenheight butter 1 Tablespoon at a time. Making sure that each time the butter is fully incorporated.
- Once all the butter has been added turn down the speed to medium. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt.
- Frost the completely cooled cake any way you want and enjoy.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you try this recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more cake recipes? You can find them here.