Easy Shortbread cookies covered with Halloween sprinkles with a dollop of chocolate in the center.
Do you want to know what we love about Halloween? It’s how fun and festive we can make our food. These Halloween Thumbprint cookies definitely scream Halloween. Plus, they are super simple to make. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be used for other holidays too like Christmas & Valentine’s Day. All you have to do is change up the sprinkles.
They also are great for dropping off at a friend’s doorstep because we know Halloween is going to be different this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still celebrate in small ways.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Butter. We always use salted butter in our recipes.
- Light brown sugar. You can use dark brown sugar if you have that on hand it will change the flavor just a little bit.
- An egg
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Colored nonpareils or sprinkles
- Chocolate wafers. Our favorite chocolate wafer is Guittard Semi-sweet Chocolate Organic Wafers
How to make the cookie dough:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheight and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or a standing mixer cream the butter and brown sugar together. Once it is light and fluffy add in the egg and vanilla extract.
Step 3: In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt together. Then add it to the wet ingredients. Mix until everything is well combined.
Step 4: Add the sprinkles to a small shallow bowl.
Step 5: Using a 1 ½ tablespoon scooper scoop the dough and roll them into 1-inch balls.
Step 6: Roll the dough around in the sprinkles until the dough is completely covered in sprinkles.
Step 7: Place on the prepared baking sheet and push your thumb into the center of the dough.
Step 8: Bake for 10-14 minutes. Once they are done baking immediately place the chocolate wafer into the center.
Step 9: Let the cookies cool for 10-15 minutes.
Put on your favorite Halloween movie and enjoy a plate of these delicious cookies.
More Halloween Recipes to Try:
Halloween Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Colored Nonpareils or sprinkles
- Chocolate Wafers
- Preheat the oven to 350°Farenheight. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or standing mixer cream the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the sprinkles to a small shallow bowl.
- Scoop 1½ Tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Roll the dough into the sprinkles and place onto the prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart from one another.
- Press your thumb into the center of the dough.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes.
- Immediately place a chocolate wafer into the center of each cookie.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.