Movie theatre popcorn, buttery flavorful popcorn that is easy to make. All the taste of theatre popcorn for you to enjoy at home.
Throughout this whole quarantine, the one thing we really miss is going to the movies. It was one of our favorite things to do. We were looking forward to so many movies coming out. We were mostly excited to see Wonder Woman 1984 and Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
As of right now, the movie theatres are not open. We have been having movie nights in our house to stay sane and it has been fun, but what is a movie night without snacks.
Recreating movie popcorn is a lot easier than you think and it doesn’t take too many ingredients (bonus, right).
Making homemade popcorn is a lot cheaper than paying for a bag at the movie theatres.
Are you ready to make yourself a big bowl of popcorn?
The ingredients you will need:
- Popcorn Kernels
- Popcorn Oil (Popping and Topping Oil)
- Seasoning (Popcorn Salt)
Equipment you will need:
- 3-Quart Pan with a lid
- Large Bowl
Would you like butter with that?
We are going to make Ghee (also known as clarified butter). The one thing that is going to make the popcorn taste just like a bag from the theatre is the butter and the popcorn salt.
This butter is simple to make and it only takes 10 minutes.
Prepping the Oil
Don’t let the title of this section intimidate you. This step is warming up the popcorn oil so it’s hot enough to start making your popcorn.
Add the oil to a 3-quart pan with a lid on medium heat and add two or three kernels. Close the lid and when you hear the kernels pop your oil is ready. This is the easiest way to check if the oil is ready. Be sure to remove the popcorn that had popped that way when you add the rest of kernels they do not burn.
No Burnt Kernels
After you add your kernels and they start popping listen to it. When the popping starts to slow down remove it from the heat. Keep the lid on as some kernels will still pop. Once all the popping has stopped you can open the lid.
Popcorn Salt – Flavacol. This is what is going to make the biggest difference in the taste of the popcorn. You know that smells of popcorn when you walk into a movie theater and you intermediately smell the popcorn it is because of this popcorn salt. This popcorn seasoning is what is going to give you that taste of movie popcorn.
Adding the butter
One way we like to make sure that we get an even about of butter on our popcorn is my layering. We add some popcorn to a large bowl then add some butter. We then mix it together add the rest of the popcorn and add another layer of butter. You can add popcorn salt some more if you like.
You don’t have to use all the butter you made. If you have some leftover just place it in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. For the next time, you make some popcorn. It will stay good for two weeks.
You got your snacks. All there is now is to sit back relax and enjoy the movie.
Homemade Movie Popcorn
- 2 Tbsp Popcorn Oil
- 1/3 Cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1 Tsp Popcorn Salt more for taste
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- In a small saucepan melt the butter on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a strainer and paper towels strain the butter into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart pan with a lid add the popcorn oil on medium-low heat.
- Add two or three kernels and close the lid. Wait for the kernels to pop.
- Once the kernels have popped your oil is ready. Remove the popped kernels to avoid them from burning.
- Add in the rest of the kernels and popcorn salt. Stir quickly or close the lid shake the pan a few times.
- Let the popcorn kernels pop. Once the popping has slowed down remove from heat.
- Keep the lid on the pan until all the kernels have popped (you don't hear any more popping).
- In a large bowl add the popcorn and desired amount of butter. You can also add more popcorn salt if you like. Mix everything together.
- Grab a large bowl to add your popcorn and enjoy!
*The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
We don’t link any products that we don’t use ourselves.*
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Homemade Movie Popcorn recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more recipes? You can find them here.