Sweet buttery cookies that really easy to make and fun to decorate.
Doing a bit more holiday baking before Christmas arrives. We have made so many cookies this year with no regrets. We love baking this time of year.
This time we are making Italian Butter Cookies. They are sweet and tender and really delicious. We dressed our cookies up with a little dollop of dark chocolate. This is optional, but always delicious.
Ready to start snacking on a few? Then let’s get started.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- We always use salted butter but unsalted will work the same.
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Heavy cream
- A bar of dark chocolate. You only need this if you are planning on adding some chocolate to your cookies.
How to make Italian Butter Cookies
Step 1: In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Then set it aside until we are ready to use it.
Step 2: Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. On medium speed.
Step 3: Add in the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix on medium speed until everything is combined.
Step 4: Add the flour baking powder mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
Step 5: Then add the heavy cream and milk. Mix together until combined.
Step 6: Transfer the dough into a piping bag with an open star tip. We used the Ateco #846 tip.
Step 7: Pipe the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. To pipe, the dough hold the bag vertically onto the baking sheet and squeeze out the dough until it is about 1-1 ½ inches in diameter.
Step 8: After piping all the dough all it to chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
Step 9: Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheight. Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes. Allow them to cool completely.
Step 10: If you are planning on adding chocolate to the center just melt the chocolate bar in a heatproof bowl for 30 seconds until soft and slightly melted. Then add a dollop right in the center of each cookie. You can add some sprinkles if you like too.
Store the cookies in an air-tight container.
Italian Butter Cookies
- 2 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Egg yolks room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 4 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 4 oz Dark Chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheight. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter, sugar, and salt together on medium speed.
- Add in the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture. Mix to combine.
- Add in the heavy cream and milk. Mix until everything is well combined.
- The dough will have a frosting-like consistency. Transfers to a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe vertically onto the prepared baking sheet until a star shape is about 1-inch in diameter. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Chill for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes. Allow them to cool.
- After they have cooled spoon a little bit of the melted chocolate in the center of each cookie.
If you tried this Italian Butter Cookie recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram using the hashtag #wonderandcharm
Looking for more cookie recipes? You can find them here.