Mixed Berry Galettes. Buttery homemade pie crust wrapped around a mixed berry filling. They make for a wonderful summer treat.
What is a galette?
A galette is a French pastry similar to a pie. It’s pastry dough that is wrapped over some sort of filling. They’re also known as “lazy pies” because they are so much easier to make than a regular pie.
How to make Mixed Berry Galettes:
The first step is to make the homemade pie crust. You could also use a store-bought crust if you prefer. But for this recipe, we are using our go-to pie crust that we used for our Pumpkin Pie and Strawberry Pop-tarts.
Tip: Always use cold butter when it comes to making the pie crust. This will help create a more flavorful and flakey crust.
The next step is to make the mixed berry filling. This part is the quickest step in this recipe. You just add all your berries in a bowl then add in some sugar and cornstarch. Stir and you are done. You now have your filling.
Rolling out the dough:
When it comes to rolling out pie crust always roll it out on a flat well-floured surface. Roll it out until it is ¼ inches thick. To get the perfect round shape for each galette we used a cereal bowl and traced the shape with a knife to get a perfectly round circle.
Next, fill the center of each circle with the berry filling. Be sure not to add too much filling because we still need to fold the dough over the filling.
After you have folded the dough over the filling it is time for the egg wash.
What is an egg wash?
Egg wash is an egg that is usually beaten together with milk or water. It is brushed on to pastry surfaces before baking to give them a shiny or golden brown color. Is it necessary? No, but we like the golden color that it gives these galettes. Brush the egg wash over the pie crust and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.
The last step is to bake them in the oven and allow them to cool.
Top with some whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy.
Looking for some other fruit filling ideas?
- Apple is always a good choice. Just sprinkle with a little cinnamon or brown sugar.
- Be sure that they a pitted and halved.
Mixed Berry Galette
- 1¼ cup Pastry Flour All-purpose flour works too
- 1 tbsp Sugar Plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup Cold Butter Cubed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 5-8 tbsp Ice Water
- 1 cup Strawberries Huled and quartered
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Raspberries
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Milk
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the cold cubed butter. Using a pastry cutter or fork mix until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add in the ice water one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. *Note you don't need to add all of the water just enough until the dough comes together.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Knead together to form a 1-inch thick circle.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425° Farenheight. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl gently combine the fruit, sugar, and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- On a well-floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 1/4-1/2-inches thick. Trace out a 6-inch circle with a knife. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Place each circle on the prepare baking sheet.
- Place the fruit in the center of each circle. Fold an inch of dough over the fruit.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and milk together. Brust over each pie crust and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden. Let it cool completely.
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Mixed Berry Galette recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.