Two Nutella fans here. What we mean is who doesn’t love chocolate and hazelnut. We are also big fans of ice cream as well so naturally, we had to combine the two.
Lately, we’ve been obsessed with making homemade hand-churned ice cream. It is so much fun because you can make all sorts of flavors. Ice cream is pretty much a staple in our house. We always get a craving every now and then (that and cookies of course).
You don’t need an ice cream maker for the recipe. This method is just like getting ice cream from an ice cream maker but you are churning the ice cream yourself.
You may not have made homemade hand-churned ice cream before but don’t get scared it is not at intimidating as it sounds. It is a little labor of love but it is worth it.
Today’s ice cream flavor Nutella.
This ice cream is creamy with the delicious flavor of Nutella (chocolate and hazelnuts) and chopped hazelnuts.
You can’t tell us that this ice cream doesn’t sound delicious.
Let’s get started making some ice cream.
The ingredients you will need:
- Whole Milk
- An Egg
- Chopped Hazelnuts
- Heavy Cream
The equipment you need:
- Two metal bowls (one large and one small)
- Small Saucepan
Ice Cream Base:
Okay, now that we have all our equipment and ready to go it is time to make our ice cream base.
On medium-low heat, we are going to whisk together the milk, egg, and sugar until it reaches a temperature of 175° (F). Make sure that you whisk constantly you don’t want scrambled eggs in your ice cream.
After you have reaches 175° remove it from the heat. Whisk in the Nutella and heavy cream until all the Nutella has melted.
Place the mixture in a small metal bowl covered in plastic wrap with the plastic wrap touching the mixture (be careful not to burn yourself) and place it in the freezer (on a heatproof surface) for about 10 minutes.
While you are waiting for the 10 minutes to pass we can prep our bigger metal bowl which is going to act like our ice cream maker. Place ice in a bowl and add a good amount of salt.
After the 10 minutes place your small bowl on top of the ice. Making sure it fits snug in the larger bowl.
Constantly whisk for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes cover the bowl with a towel. Keep it in the larger bowl of ice. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes and repeat this step 4 more times.
After churning it for the last time (the 4th time) fold in your chopped hazelnuts.
Then place in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
You now have some homemade hand-churned ice cream.
One of our favorite way to eat this ice cream is to make it a sundae by adding on some Nutella, whipped cream, more chopped hazelnuts, and a cherry on top.
Now that’s a sundae.
Nutella Ice Cream (Hand Churned)
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Nutella
- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Hazelnuts, chopped
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat add the milk, the egg, and sugar. Whisk constantly until combined and the temperature has reaches 175° (F)
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream and the Nutella until combined.
- Pour in a metal bowl and place plastic wrap directly on top. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a larger metal bowl add the ice and the salt.
- Grab the ice cream mixture from the freezer and set the bowl on top of the ice.
- Whisk for 10 minutes then place both bowls with a towel covering the bowls in the freezer for 30 minutes. Repeat 3 more times.
- After repeating the previous step 4 times add in the hazelnuts and stir.
- Cover the smaller bowl with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Grab a bowl, drizzle some Nutella, whipped cream, and more chopped hazelnuts, a cherry, and dig in.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you try this recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? You can find them here