A delightful orange bundt cake drizzled with chocolate ganache. This simple and beautiful cake is sure to be a crowd favorite.
There isn’t a year that goes by don’t make a bundt cake for the holidays. Usually, it is a Rum Cake. But just to change things up we decided that why not make an orange and chocolate bundt cake.
Why chocolate and orange you ask and not gingerbread or something more Christmasy? The flavor inspiration for this bundt cake is because every year around this time we always get those Terry’s Chocolate Oranges that you can find at the grocery stores. So we decided why not make a cake using oranges and chocolate.
This cake is really easy to make and not only does it taste incredible with all that orange and chocolate goodness it looks very pretty in the center of a holiday tablescape.
Ready to get baking? Here are the ingredients for this Orange Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache.
- Light Brown Sugar. Dark brown sugar will work as well.
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Orange Zest. Because you just need the skin of the orange you can snack the orange while the cake is baking.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Like always we used Bob’s Red Mill Buttermilk Powder. It is just more convenient and makes just the right amount.
- Sour Cream
- Semi-sweet chopped chocolate. You don’t have to use any sort of fancy chocolate we used Nestle Toll House’s Artisan Baking Chips in extra semi-sweet. These can be found at Wal-Mart.
- Heavy whipping cream
How to make an orange bundt cake:
The first thing we like to do is get our orange zest ready to be added into the batter so we just use a Microplane zester or grater and scrape the orange peel against it to get the zest.
The next thing to do is sift all the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl then it set aside.
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes. Then add in both extracts and the orange zest. On medium speed add in each egg one at a time making sure that each one is well incorporated.
This next step is critical because it will help us not overbeat the batter. At first, you are going to add a little bit of the flour mixture into the batter then mix. Then add in a little sour cream and buttermilk then mix again. Then add a little bit more flour mixture then the sour cream and buttermilk again. Continue doing this until both the dry and wet ingredients are all mixed in.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare your bundt pan by spraying it with some non-stick cooking spray and coating it with flour. Make sure there is a good coating of flour. Shake off any extra flour. Then add in the batter. Bake for one hour.
Once the cake is out of the oven let it cool for 30 minutes before flipping it over. After 30 minutes has passed flip the cake over and let it cool completely before trying to remove the cake from the pan.
While the cake is cooling we can get the chocolate ganache ready to drizzle. This part is really easy. Heat up some heavy whipping cream on medium-low heat in a saucepan and allow it to come to a low simmer. Place the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl then once the heavy cream is nice and warm pour it on top of the chocolate. Allow it sit for 3 minutes then stir until everything is well combined. After that let the ganache cool for an hour and a half to allow it thickens up before drizzling it over the cake.
There you have it a tasty Orange Bundt Cake to enjoy with your friends and family this holiday season.
Orange Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Orange Bundt Cake
- 1½ cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 tbsp Orange Zest
- 5 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 3¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Chopped Semi-sweet Chocolate
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Orange Bundt Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° Farenheight.
- In a medium-sized bowl sift together the flour, baking powders, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugars together for about 4 minutes. Then add the vanilla and almond extract, and the orange zest.
- Add the eggs in one at a time making sure that each egg is mixed in before adding the next one.
- Then add in a small amount of the flour mixture and mix. Then add a little of the sour cream and buttermilk mix until combined. Then add a little bit more of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add a little bit of the sour cream and buttermilk and mix again. Continue alternating until both the wet and dry ingredients are all mixed in.
- Prepare a bundt pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray and a good coating of flour. Shake off any excess flour from the pan. Then add in the batter. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes before flipping it over. After 30 minutes have passed flip the cake over but allow it to cool completely before taking it out of the pan.
- Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat bring the heavy whipping cream to a low simmer. Then pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 3 minutes.
- Then stir until everything is combined. Allow the ganache to cool for an hour and a half to thicken up before drizzling it on the cake.
- Once the ganache has cooled drizzle over the bundt cake.
- All there is left to do is serve and enjoy!
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Orange Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more cake recipes? You can find them here.