It’s back to school season and we thought we would share a recipe of one of our favorite snacks when we were going to school. Delicious homemade Rice Krispie treats. Made with Rice Krispies cereal combined with browned butter and marshmallows to create a classic childhood favorite. But we’ll let you in on a little secret. These taste so much better than the ones you would buy at the store.
When we were kids growing up our dad would pack our lunches. He would always put in some extra little treats now and again just as a surprise. This would be either Hostess cakes, sometimes candy, and of course a Rice Krispie treats. Now grant it they wouldn’t always be the classic Rice Krispie treats it would sometimes be the ones with chocolate chips or rainbow chips. Which were okay but we always preferred the original ones the best.
So with back to school season here in full swing, we thought that maybe we would make a treat that would be great for parents to stick in their kid’s lunch box or have as an afternoon snack. These are great for adults too. Who says you need to be a kid to enjoy these ooey-gooey treats.
How to make homemade Rice Krispie Treats
The first thing to do is to make sure that all your ingredients are measured out before you start. Why? This will just make sure that you have all your ingredients and will be easier when putting everything together. For this recipe, you will need of course Rice Krispie cereal. Some other ingredients you will need are:
- Mini Marshmallows. Make sure they are mini because large marshmallows won’t work as well.
- Salted Butter. These will help the treats not be overly sweet. You can use unsalted butter if you like or if that is all you have in your kitchen.
- Vanilla Extract
- Just a pinch since we are already using salted butter.
Instead of just melting the butter for this recipe we are going to brown the butter. This will enhance the flavor of these treats.
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is butter that is melted and stirred constantly until the milk solids become a golden brown color and has sort of a nutty caramelized aroma.
After the butter has been browned to perfection in a large saucepan we add in the vanilla and salt. Then add the marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. All that is left to do is stir in the cereal and stir until everything is well combined. You can add a few extra marshmallows in the mix to get those nice bits of marshmallow in your treats if you like.
Next transfer the mixture to a baking pan. We used a square 9-inch foiled line baking pan.
Baking pan tips
- Line your pan with enough foil that it hangs off the edge a little bit so it is easier to grab when your treats are done. Also, spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. We like to use Pam Olive Oil Spray, it doesn’t give our food that chemical taste you can sometimes get in non-cooking sprays.
- Make sure the rice Krispie mixture is evenly spread out in your pan.
- When spreading your mixture into your pan make sure not to push down on it really hard or too compact. This will cause them to be a little too dense when they are done.
Let the mixture sit for 1 hour. Take them out of the pan and cut into squares. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy.
Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ cup Mini Marshmallows plus ¼ extra for after everything is mixed together
- 4 ½ cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- Line a 9x9 square pan with foil with a little handing over the sides. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan brown the butter on medium-low heat. Stir constantly for about 3-5 minutes until the butter is fragrant and turns golden brown.
- Turn down the heat to low. Stir in the salt and vanilla extract. Add in the 1½ cup of marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add in the Rice Krispie cereal and stir until well combined. Remove from the heat.
- Add in ¼ cup of marshmallows until combined. This step is optional.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the foiled lined pan. Spread the mixture evenly and press down the mixture with a spatula or with your hands. *DON'T Press too hard this will make the treats too dense when they are done.
- Allow the mixture to rest in the pan for 1 hour.
- Remove from the pan then cut into bars. Enjoy.
We hope you all enjoy! If you made these homemade Rice Krispie Treats be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more recipes? You can find them here.