There is always something about this time of year when the weather starts to cool down, pumpkin spice drinks start rolling out, and the fall merchandise starts to hit the stores that always makes us so happy. You want to know why? Because that means Fall is just around the corner.
And nothing says fall like caramel and apples (well maybe pumpkin spice).
For today’s recipe, we are sharing this Brown Butter Salted Caramel Apple Crumble.
This dessert is perfect to celebrate Autumn’s arrival or any occasion. And you want to know something else? It does not take a lot of time. This dessert takes about 30 minutes to make. You can even make it ahead of time. This dessert is brown butter cinnamon-spiced apples, baked with brown butter crumble on top, and drizzled with salted caramel sauce.
Let’s get started so we can have ourselves some of this dessert, shall we?
The ingredients you will need for are:
For the Cinnamon Apples
- Apples. We used granny smith apples because they are not as sweet as red apples. The sourness of the granny smith apples gives a nice balance.
- Butter. We like to use salted butter.
- Cinnamon. We always use ground cinnamon.
- Vanilla Extract. Our current favorite vanilla extract is Molina Original Vanilla Blend. You can use your favorite vanilla extract even vanilla paste if you like. Which we have tried before it tastes even better if you have pure vanilla bean paste.
For the Salted Caramel
- Sugar. We like to use raw sugar in our baking. Please feel free to use any sugar you like.
- Heavy Cream. We use ultra-pasteurized heavy cream.
- Sea Salt. You can use table salt is does not need to be sea salt.
- Butter. Again, we used salted butter. You can also use unsalted too.
For the Crumb Topping
- Brown Sugar. We used light brown sugar, but you can also use dark brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will give you more of a molasses flavor.
- We used all-purpose flour. Our favorite is Bob’s Red Mill.
- Salt. For the crumble, we used regular table salt.
How to make homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
We know what you are thinking. Why don’t we just use store-bought caramel? You can use store-bought caramel sauce if you like especially when you are short on time. But there is something about homemade caramel sauce that tastes so much better. In our opinion, it has a better flavor.
The one thing about making caramel from scratch is making sure that the sugar does not burn. Burnt sugar is a pain to clean up (trust us we know).
Step1: Melting the Sugar
The first thing we are going to do is add the sugar to a small saucepan on medium heat. Using a whisk stir constantly until the sugar begins to melt into a thick brown liquid and there are not lumps. Be sure to keep a good eye on it! DON’T LET IT BURN!
Step 2: Add the Butter
Once the sugar has melted add in the butter. Keep stirring until completely melted.
Step 3: Adding in the Heavy Cream
This is important! Slowly pour the heavy cream a little at a time. If you don’t it will get clumpy and separate.
Step 4: Adding in the Sea Salt
Remove from the heat and stir in the sea salt. Allow it to cool and thicken up before using it.
If you never had brown butter before you are missing out. It takes whatever baked good you are making to the next level. It almost tastes like caramel or toffee.
Step 1: The butter
Get the 7 tablespoons of butter and cut it into chunks. This will brown the butter evenly than just throwing the whole stick in the pan.
Step 2: Melt the Butter
In a small frying pan add the butter. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir until the butter has melted and begins to turn a golden-brown color. There will be a nutty aroma as it starts to golden. This should take about 3 minutes
How to make the Crumb Topping
The dessert as a whole is delicious, but our favorite part has to be the crumb topping on top. It is so good. One thing we like to do is add it on top of some vanilla ice cream.
This part takes two minutes to put together.
Step 1: Add all the dry ingredients
In a medium bowl add the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together until combined.
Step 2: Add the Melted Butter
After all the dry ingredients are combined it’s time to add 3 tablespoons of the melted brown butter.
Step 3: Combine
Stir in the butter until the mixture starts forming into crumbs.
Step 4: Refrigerate
Stick the crumb topping in the fridge until ready to use.
Making the Apples:
Apple desserts next to pumpkin foods always make us think of the fall season. These cinnamon apples smell wonderful as they are baking in the oven. The smell wafting through the house will make people wondering what you are baking that they will come running into the kitchen.
Step 1: The Oven
Preheat the oven to 350° (F) and have a large baking dish ready for the apples.
Step 2: The Apples
Chop the apples into chunks and place them in the large bowl.
Step 3: Adding the Melted Brown Butter
Pour 4 tablespoons on the melted butter over the apples.
Step 4: Coating the apples
Once the butter is added stir together until the apples are coated.
Step 5: Adding the Cinnamon & Vanilla Extract
Add in the cinnamon and the vanilla extract. Stir until the apples are coated.
Assemble the Apple Crumble
Step 1: Layering the Apples
In a large baking dish add the apples into an even layer.
Step 2: The Crumble
Once the apples are in an even layer sprinkle the crumble on top.
Step 3: Baking
Bake for 20–25 minutes
Step 4: Let it cool
Once it is out of the oven let it cool for 10-15 minutes
Step 5: Optional
Add some ice cream. This is totally up to you but boy it is delicious. We like to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of our crumble before adding the caramel.
Step 6: Drizzling the Salted Caramel Sauce and Enjoy!
Drizzle some of the salted caramel sauce on top of the crumble.
You now have yourself a helping of Salted Caramel Apple Crumble. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Salted Caramel Apple Crumble
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Brown Butter, melted
Brown Butter Cinnamon Apples
- 4 Tbsp Brown Butter, melted
- 3-4 Apples, chopped into chunks We used green apples
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Salted Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add the sugar.
- Whisk until clumps form and begins to melt. DON'T LET IT BURN!
- Once it has melted add the butter stir until completely melted.
- Slowly a little at a time add in the heavy cream.
- Remove from heat and add the salt. Stir until combined. Let it cool.
- In a small frying pan add 7 tablespoons of butter, stir, and let it melt until it turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. About 5-7 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients into a small- size bowl and mix together. Set aside until ready to use.
Brown Butter Apples
- Preheat the oven to 350°(F). Prepare a baking dish with a light spray of non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add the apples and the melted brown butter. Stir until all the apples are coated.
- Sprinkles the cinnamon and add vanilla extract. Coat the apples.
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle the crumble on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and drizzle the caramel. If you wish a scoop of ice cream on top.
Follow us on Instagram @wonderandcharm and use the #wonderandcharm is you made Brown Butter Salted Caramel Apple Crumble. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.