Summer is coming to a close, so we thought no better way to close out the summer than with another ice cream recipe, S’mores Ice Cream Bites to be exact.
Graham cracker crust with toasted marshmallow ice cream and of course you have to have the chocolate. We used Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree to add a little saltiness to balance all the sweetness.
These bites are the perfect treat to cool down and although they take a little time to make, they are so worth it. They also make a great make-ahead dessert option.
Want to try some for yourself? Let’s get into the recipe.
It is not a s’more without chocolate. Like we mentioned above Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree.
Ingredients for the Graham Cracker Crust
- Graham Crackers. Our favorite are honey graham crackers.
- Sugar. We use raw sugar, but you can use granulated sugar as well.
- Butter. We like to use salted butter in all our baking. You can also use unsalted butter.
Ingredients for the Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
- Marshmallows We used large marshmallows, but you can also use mini marshmallows as well. We have the measurements for both the large and mini marshmallows.
- Milk We find that whole milk works best when we are making ice cream.
- Vanilla Extract. We use imitation vanilla extract, but if you have pure vanilla extract that is even better.
- Heavy Cream. We use ultra-pasteurized. This is the key ingredients that is going to get the ice cream mixture thick.
How to Make the Graham Cracker Crust
Graham cracker crust is one of our favorite crust right next to Oreo. This crust takes no time to make less than 15 minutes.
Step 1: Graham Crackers
In a food processor crush the graham crackers into small fine crumbs.
Step 2: Add the Butter
In a small bowl add the graham cracker crumbs and slowly add in the butter.
Tip: You could add the butter into the food processor with the crumbs to distribute the butter more evenly.
Step 3: The Pan
Prep a 6-inch square pan with parchment paper. Let a little bit of the parchment paper hang over the sides. This will make it easier to remove the ice cream later on. Add the crumb mixture to the pan.
Step 4: Press down the Crumbs
Using your fingers or the back of a measuring cup press the crumbs down into an even layer.
Step 5: Bake
Bake in 350°(F) oven for 8-12 minutes.
Step 6: Let it cool
After it is done baking remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Make sure it is completely cool because when we add the ice cream, we don’t want it to melt.
How to Make Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
If this is your first time ever making homemade ice cream, you are in for a treat. Homemade ice cream is the best. This toasted marshmallow ice cream is no exception. It is a lot easier to make than you think.
Step 1: Toasting the Marshmallows
In a small baking sheet lined with foil, place the marshmallows. If you are using larger marshmallows use 20 marshmallows. If you are using mini marshmallows use 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
Step 2: Broil
Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil the marshmallows for 30 seconds to a minute. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
Step 3: Let them Cool
Once they are toasted let them cool on the baking sheet. While they cooling we will start on the ice cream base.
Step 4: Making the Ice Cream Base
In a medium saucepan add the milk, eggs, and sugar. Turn the heat to medium-low.
Step 5: Whisk Together
Whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 175°(F).
The reason for whisking constantly is so we don’t have scrambled eggs in our ice cream. If you don’t whisk in the eggs fully they will begin to cook.
Step 6: Adding the Heavy Cream
After it has reached 175° (F) remove from the heat and add in the heavy cream.
Step 7: Adding the Vanilla Extract
Add in the vanilla extract. Whisk together both the heavy cream and vanilla extract until combined.
The reason we add in the vanilla last and removing it from the heat is because it will intensify the flavor of the vanilla.
Step 8: Blend
In a blender add in the toasted marshmallows and the ice cream base. Blend together until well combined and all the marshmallows are mixed in.
Step 9: Freeze
In a heatproof bowl add the ice cream mixture and freeze for 2 hours.
Step 10: Ice Cream Maker
Churn the ice cream according to the manufacture instructions on your ice cream maker.
Step 11: Back to Pan
After the ice cream has churned pour the mixture into on top of the baked graham cracker crust.
Step 12: Even Layers
Spread the ice cream on top of the crust in an even layer using a spoon.
Step 13: Freeze, Again
Once the ice cream is spread evenly place in back in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
Step 14: Chocolate
Once your ice cream had stiffened up all there is left to do is cut them into squares, add the chocolate on top. Enjoy.
S'mores Ice Cream Bites
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3/4 cup Graham Crackers crushed
- 8 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Butter melted
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
- 20 Large Marshmallows or 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cup Heavy Cream
- 9 Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree Chocolate Squares
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350° Farenheight. Line a 6-inch square baking pan with parchment paper with a little hanging over the sides.
- In a small bowl combine the crushed graham crackers and sugar together. Then add in the butter. Mix until everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Press down the crumb mixture to create an even layer.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. Allow it to cool completely.
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Place the marshmallows on the baking sheet.
- Broil in the oven for 30 seconds to a minute. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Let them cool completely.
- In a medium sauce-pan over medium-low heat add the milk, eggs, and sugar together. Whisk until it reaches 175° Farenheight.
- Remove the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and add in the toasted marshmallows. Blend until the marshmallows are completely blended in.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and freeze for 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker. Follow the manufactures instructions to churn the ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream evenly over the graham cracker crust and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Pull the ice cream out of the freezer and remove it from the baking pan. Slice into 9 even squares. Place a Ghirardelli square onto of each square. Enjoy.
Follow us on Instagram @wonderandcharm and use the #wonderandcharm is you made these Cookie Butter Bars. We love to see your photos.
*The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
We don’t link any products that we don’t use ourselves.*
Looking for more ice cream recipes? You can find them here.