It’s Summer which means it’s S’MORES SEASON! We love making traditional s’mores every year but this year we wanted to try something a little different. We sort of took a fancy twist on a traditional s’mores. Introducing S’mores Mousse Cups.
These are four layers to these fancy little squares. First is the chocolate shell, then the chocolate mousse made from Ghirardelli Fudge Caramel Chocolate Squares, inside a Smashmallow Toasted Vanilla marshmallow all on top of a delicious graham cracker crust.
This dessert is so good and decadent but it does take a lot of patience. Please don’t get intimidated. The steps are easy but there is a little bit of a wait time for each layer but, it is worth the end result.
Ready to begin? Let’s start making some S’mores Mousse Cups.
The first layer we are going to do is our chocolate shell. Melt some chocolate wafers in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-second intervals until chocolate has melted. Coat the bottom and the sides of your silicone mold. Place mold in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes so the chocolate can harden.
While we are waiting for the chocolate shell to harden we can get started on the chocolate mousse layer.
We love chocolate mousse but it is one of those desserts that we don’t have very often. They don’t really sell it at the store and to be completely honest we have never been really good at making it. In the past, we have always avoided making mousse recipes because every time we’ve tried to make it it would either be to water or chunky. Yuck, right?
But as we have been trying to improve on our culinary skills we thought why not try making mousse one more time? We are so glad we did. This mousse came out perfect. Yes, it took one or two tries for us to get it right but it was worth it.
The mousse filling for this dessert is chocolate caramel eggless mousse. The first step for the mousse is to boil some water and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in about 12 Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Fudge Caramel Squares, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
Next, using a stand or hand mixer whip about 2 cups of cold heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Once you have stiff peaks set aside about a cup and half of the whipped cream.
Add in the chocolate mixture to the whipped cream let in the bowl and stir until combined. Stir in the rest of the whipped cream until combined. It should be fluffy.
Remove your mold from the freezer and fill the mold with a little bit of the mousse then pop a SmashMallow Toasted Marshmallow in the middle then finish filling the cavity with mousse. BE SURE NOT TO FILL THE MOLD CAVITY ALL THE WAY. We still need to add the graham cracker crust. Pop in the freezer for about 8 hours.
After our mousse is nice and frozen the next thing we are going to do is create the graham cracker crust. We are going to bake our graham cracker crust. If you prefer you can use a non-baked crust. We thought the baked just tasted better.
The first thing to do is preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a food processor crush the graham crackers until they resemble crumbs. Place the crumbs in a small bowl. Add sugar and mix well. Stir in melted butter until well combined.
Using a small pan press the graham cracker mixture into the pan making an even layer about a ½ inch thick. Bake for 10 minutes and let it cool.
Break up the crust and put it in a food processor to make crumbs.
Wait, I have to break the crust up?
Yeah, we know what you are thinking “why am I going to break up this crust when I could have just made a non-bake crust.” The reason being is that you get that delicious baked flavored crust.
Take out your silicone mold and add the graham cracker crust crumbs to the bottom of each mold cavity. Freeze for 3 hours.
Hooray, you made it through all the steps we know it was a lot. Now all you have to do is pop each one out of the mold. Top with marshmallow fluff and a Ghirardelli square if you like and enjoy.
S'mores Mousse Cup
- Food Processor
- Silicone Mold
- 1 Dolci Frutta Hard Chocolate Shell
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 12 Ghirardelli Fudge Caramel Chocolate Squares
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Cups Cold Heavy Cream
- 1 Bag Smashmallow Toasted Vanilla Marshmallows
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/2 Cup Graham Crackers About 6 graham crackers
- 2 tbsp Butter Melted
- 5 1/3 tsp Sugar
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals. Stir in between each time. Continue until melted.
- Coat the bottom and the sides of your silicone mold. Pop in the freezer for 10-15 minutes until the shell has hardened.
- In a small saucepan over high heat bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, almond extract, and sea salt.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer whip the COLD heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the whipped cream.
- Add in the chocolate mixture to the remaining whipped cream and stir until well combined. Once well-combined add in the rest of the whipped cream that we set aside. The mousse should be fluffy.
- Take your mold out of the freezer and fill the cavities with a little bit of mousse. Place one Smashmallow marshmallow in the middle of the mousse then top that off with some more mousse. BE SURE NOT TO OVERFILL THE CAVITY SINCE WE STILL HAVE TO ADD OUR GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST.
- Place those in the freezer for about 8 hours.
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Crush the graham crackers using a food processor until they are crumbs.
- Add the crumbs into a small bowl. Add sugar and mix well.
- Stir in the melted butter and stir until combined.
- Using a small baking pan press mixture into an even layer about ½ inch thick.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- Break up the crust and put it into the food processor to make crumbs.
- Press the graham cracker crumbs onto the bottom of each mold cavity and freezer for 3 hours.
- Pop each mousse cup out of the mold. Top with some marshmallow fluff and a Ghirardelli Square if you like and dig in.
We hope you all enjoy! If you make this S’ mores Mousse Cup recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more dessert recipes? You can find them here.