Are you up for a trip down memory lane? One bite and you will transport you back to your childhood with these homemade Strawberry Pop-Tarts. These delicious pastries are tender flakey crust with strawberry jam in the middle and frosted with strawberry frosting.
Remember being a kid and getting excited when your parents would let you have a Pop-Tarts for breakfast. Well, we are here to share with you this easy to make recipe so you can recreate this delicious childhood favorite.
This recipe doesn’t take a lot of ingredients or time at all. We will be using leftover icing that we had from our Strawberry Donuts recipe so that cuts some prep work off our list. If you haven’t made our strawberry donuts yet we will be sharing the icing instructions on this recipe card below.
Ready to get started?
- Pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- Iced Water
- Strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar
- An egg
- Vanilla extract
Tools you will need:
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry cutter
- Knife or bench scraper
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or a silicone mat
A few helpful tips:
- When making the pastry for the Pop-Tarts always use cold cubed butter. By using cold butter this will help make the crust flakey and more flavorful.
- Don’t overfill with jam. If there is too much jam in the middle it can start to leak out of the sides of the pastry. About 1 tablespoon of jam in the middle should be enough.
- Use a fork to create the pattern on the edge of the pastry. Lightly dust the fork in flour before starting to help prevent it from sticking.
- You can make the icing a day before and then just allow it to come to room temperature before icing.
- You can freeze the unfrosted Pop-Tarts in the freezer for later. Once you are ready to grab one just thaw in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
Strawberry Pop Tarts
- 1¼ cup Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Salted Butter cold and cubed
- 3-5 tbsp Ice Water
- Strawberry Jam
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Milk
- 4-5 Strawberries pureed
- 1-2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbs start to form.
- Stir in the ice water in 1 Tablespoon at a time until dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and knead a few times. Then form a round disk and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface roll the dough out to about 1/8-1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Cut into 3-inch intervals across the dough. Place the cutout dough onto a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg and milk. This is your egg wash.
- Brush each strip of dough with the egg wash.
- Fill one strip in the center with 1-2 tablespoons of Strawberry Jam.
- Fold the other side over. Covering the jam. Seal the edges and brush with egg wash.
- Take a fork and press the edges to create a pattern. Place them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheight.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- In a small bowl combine the pureed strawberries, 1 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is combined. Keep adding powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cooled Pop-Tarts. Allow them a few minutes to harden.
We hope you enjoyed this Strawberry Pop-Tarts recipe! Did you try this recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? You can find them here.
*The links in this post contain affiliate links and we will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
We don’t link any products that we don’t use ourselves.*