Oh hey there! We’ve got a new cookie recipe to share with you. We recently shared with you our Monster Cookies recipe. Today we have for you Toasted Coconut Shortbread.
These cookies are delicious buttery cookies with an amazing coconut flavor. Now, these cookies taste amazing on their own but dipping them in chocolate just takes these cookies to the next level. They are so soft and tender they just melt in your mouth.
What is shortbread?
Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit that is usually made from two parts butter, one part sugar, and three parts flour. They are baked on low heat and are really good at holding their shape.
We both love shortbread cookie especially around the holidays but we wanted to make a shortbread recipe that had a Summer vibe.
Now, who wants some cookies?
The first thing is to make sure that your butter is at room temperature. This will not only help cream the butter a lot easier but it will also give us cookies that are nice and soft.
Next, we are going to toast some coconut. In a small frying pan on low heat add in the unsweetened coconut. Stir constantly until it starts to turn golden. Then remove from heat. You can toast the coconut in the oven if you like but we feel like we get more control of the toasting of the coconut this way. Set the coconut aside until we are ready to use it.
In a separate bowl sift together the flour and corn starch, set aside.
We will start creaming the butter and sugar together. In a large bowl add butter and sugar beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and coconut extract. Mix until well combined.
Slowly add the dry ingredients a little at a time into the butter mixture. Mix together using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer.
Once the dough had formed, add in toasted coconut and mix until combined.
Roll the dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Once the dough has chilled take it out and let it sit out for 10-15 minutes. DO NOT LET IT SIT OUT FOR TOO LONG BECAUSE IT WILL BCOME TOO SOFT.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Grab a piece of dough and create a one-inch ball. Flatten with your hand until it is about one-fourth inch thick. Then place it on the baking sheet. Continue doing this for the rest of the dough. Place each cookie about half an inch apart.
Bake for fifteen minutes or until golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for ten to fifteen minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Allow them to cool for an additional twenty to thirty minutes.
For the melting chocolate, we used Dolci Frutta, Hard Chocolate Shell but you can melt some chocolate chips if you don’t have melting chocolate wafers on hand.
Dip one edge of the cookie and sprinkle on some sliced almonds. Repeat for the rest of the cookies. Pop the finished cookies in the refrigerator for about ten to fifteen minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
You’re all done. We just know that these Toasted Coconut Shortbread cookies are going to be your new favorite dessert!
Toasted Coconut Shortbread
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- Melting Chocolate You can use chocolate chips if you don't have melting chocolate.
- In a small frying pan add coconut flakes. On low heat stir constantly until the coconut starts to turn lightly golden. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl sift together flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add extracts and mix until combined.
- Using a paddle attachment on your stand mixer slowly add the dry ingredient to the butter mixture. Mix until dough forms.
- Once the dough had formed add in the toasted coconut and mix until well combined.
- Roll the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- When you are ready to bake take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Don't let is sit out for too long or it will get too soft.
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Grab a piece of dough and form a 1" ball then flatten with your hand until it is about 1/4" thick. Then place on the baking sheet placing each cookie 1/2" apart. Continue doing this for the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool for another 10-20 minutes.
- Dip on side of the cookie in chocolate and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Allow the chocolate to harden. Now grab yourself a glass of milk and enjoy.
We hope you all enjoy! If you made this Toasted Coconut Shortbread recipe tag us on Instagram@wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more cookie recipes? You can find them here.