Updated: 9/25/2020 As the chilly weather starts rolling in there is no better time for a nice bowl of soup. Today the weather is in the high 60’s so we decided to try a soup that we never tried before and that is Tomato Soup. It’s hard to believe that we have never tried this soup before not even as kids.
This hardy bowl of tomato soup is delicious and pairs perfectly with a nice warm grilled cheese sandwich. It is so simple to make that you will have yourself a nice big bowl of it yourself it no time at all.
One of the things we love about the Fall weather coming is that it gives us a chance to cozy up with some nice warm comforting food, and a Halloween movie. As we write this we wish we were doing that right now. Enough about our love of Fall time to talk about this tasty Tomato Soup.
The ingredients are simple enough all you will need is:
- Brown Sugar
- 2 Cans of Peeled Plum Tomatoes with juice
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
Simple right? We are pretty sure that you have most of that in your kitchen right now.
Tools you will need:
- Hand Blender (you can also use a standing blender but we find it easier this way. It beats having to transfer the liquid.)
- Large Stock Pot
The great thing about this soup is its a 30-minute meal which means that it is perfect for weeknight dinners. You can also freeze it and make a nice addition to any meal prep.
To Freeze soup make sure that it is completely cool before sticking it in the freezer. Pour soup in an air-tight container and it should last up to 3 months.
One of our favorite ways to eat this soup as we mentioned above is with a grilled cheese sandwich. We will let you in on our favorite way to make grilled cheese. Try using fresh cheddar cheese with some fresh Gruyere cheese. Oh man, it’s so good! It pairs perfectly with this soup.
- 1 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 28 oz Can of Peeled Plum Tomatoes with juice
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add in the onions and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add in brown sugar and stir and cook for an additional 7- 9 minutes or until brown. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN IT!
- Add in garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Using a hand blender or standing blender blend the soup until smooth.
- If using a standing blender transfer back to the pot.
- Stir in over low heat the heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish with some basil if you like and a side of grilled cheese. And enjoy!
We hope you all enjoy it! If you made this Tomato Soup recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more soup recipes? You can find them here.