Hello everyone. The heat is definitely reaching summer temperatures here in Texas. One hundred degree weather, yeah not our ideal weather but it gives us an excellent excuse to make our childhood favorite POPSICLE! Well, Tropical Popsicles to be exact.
We don’t know what it is about popsicles but they have a way of just taking us back to our childhood. We think it is because when we were kids after school we would always get those popsicles with the bubblegum eyes from the ice cream truck. You know the ones of Bugs Bunny, the Powerpuff Girls, or Sonic the Hedgehog. Did you ever have one of those as a kid?
Sorry, got sidetracked down memory lane. You’re here for a popsicle recipe, right? Now, these aren’t bubblegum eye popsicles but they are still really good and are healthier too. They don’t have any dyes or corn syrup. They are simply made with fresh fruit and a little bit of orange juice.
We had so much fun making these Tropical Popsicles and love the pink peachy color they turned into. Okay, you waited long enough let’s get to making some popsicles.
For this recipe, you will need a mango, 10 strawberries, 8 oz of crushed pineapple with the juice, and 12 oz of your favorite orange juice.
Tips for picking out the best fruit
When it comes to picking our fruit sometimes it can be difficult knowing if you are choosing the best fruit or not. We are going to share some tips with you when it comes to picking out fruit for this recipe.
- DON’T focus on the color. This isn’t a reliable way to tell the ripeness of a mango. The red color doesn’t indicate the ripeness.
- A ripe mango will be slightly soft.
- A ripe mango will give off a fruity smell at their stems.
- Look for bright red berries and fresh green leaves
- Look at the plumpness of the strawberries. You don’t want shrivel strawberries.
- Be sure that there is no mold in the box.
For our mango, we are going to slice it and remove it from the skin before we put it into the blender. The best way to slice a mango in our opinion is the hedgehog method. If you don’t know what the hedgehog method is for slicing a mango all you have to do is slice the mango in half. Score it with a knife. Invert by pushing the mango in the middle and scrape down the mango from the skin with a knife.
After your mango is nice and sliced we are going to add it into a blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend together until nice and smooth.
Next, we are going to pour everything into a popsicle mold and let that freeze for one hour before inserting the popsicle sticks.
After an hour in the freezer insert the popsicle sticks and let the popsicles freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
Dip the popsicle mold in hot water for a few seconds to help release the popsicles.
Your popsicles are ready so all that’s left to do is lounge out by the pool and enjoy.
- 1 Mango, sliced
- 10 Fresh Strawberries You can use frozen as well
- 8 oz Can of Crushed Pineapple with Juice
- 12 oz Orange Juice
- Remove mango from the skin. You can do this with the hedgehog method. Slicing a mango in half. Score it with a knife and invert from the middle and scrape the mango out with a knife.
- Add the mango slices and the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend until nice and smooth.
- Pour into a popsicle mold and freeze for one hour before inserting the popsicle sticks.
- After one hour insert the popsicle sticks into the mold and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Dip the popsicle mold in hot water for a few seconds to help release the popsicles and enjoy.
We hope you all enjoy! If you made this Tropical Popsicle recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more frozen treat recipes? You can find them here.