Delicious, chewy Chai Sugar Cookies drizzled with creamy eggnog icing. An easy cookie recipe that would be great to bring to any Christmas cookie party.
It is rare when we let December go by without making a tray of cookies. It is just not Christmas in our house without some cookies.
We got the idea for these cookies after reading the book “P.S. I Still Love You” by Jenny Han. There is a part where Lara Jean makes Chai Sugar Cookies with Eggnog Icing. When we read that we knew we had to try to make them. They were so easy and delicious. We have to admit we have never tried chia anything before making these cookies. After making these we think that is going to change. The smell of these cookies baking in the oven made the whole house smell like Christmastime.
So grab your Starbucks Peppermint Mocha in their seasonal red cups and put on some Hallmark channel movies in the background and let’s get started on making some cookies.
What exactly is chai? We will admit we had to do some Googling on what exactly chai was. All we knew that it was a spice that is sometimes used in coffee, but that is about it. So Chai is a mix of a variety of spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and black pepper.
Ingredients you will need:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- All Spice
- Black Pepper
- Powdered Sugar
To get a perfectly round cookie we have a few tips to share. We will admit we made two batches of these cookies to test this technique. They both came out with the same result which we thought was amazing. After rolling out your dough into balls, place it onto the cookie sheet and press down slightly, rounding it out and that is it. Your cookies should come out round just like ours did.
This next step is not necessary but we like to add a little sprinkle of the spiced sugar to the dough disk right before they go into the oven. It just gives is that extract sugary texture.
As these cookies are baking it should smell like the scent of Christmas in your home. We couldn’t get over how amazing this made our house smell as we walked in from outside.
Once the cookies have cooled drizzle on the eggnog icing. Wait for the icing to harden (we know it’s hard to resist) and there you have it Chai Sugar Cookies with Eggnog Icing. Pour yourself a nice tall glass of cold milk or eggnog (or eggnog & rum- our mom’s favorite) and put on your favorite Christmas movie, or sit by the tree and enjoy a nice plate of cookies.
Chai Sugar Cookies with Eggnog Icing
Chai Sugar Cookies
- 2¾ cups Flour sifted
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda sifted
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder sifted
- 1/2 Tsp Salt sifted
- 1¾ cups Sugar
- 2½ Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Grounded Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 Tsp Allspice
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Butter, Softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Eggnog
- 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar sifted
- 1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°(F)Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat; set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl mix together all the sifted ingredients, the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, and black pepper. Mix together until combined.
- Reserve about a 1/3 cup of the spiced sugar mixture; set aside.
- Using a standing mixer with a paddle attachment beat the butter and spiced sugar mixture until it has become light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, until each is well-combined. Add vanilla extract until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture a little at a time until combined.
- Scoop the dough into balls about 1½ tablespoons.
- Roll the balls into the reserved spiced sugar mixture.
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 8 - 14 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack. While they cool we can get started on the icing
- In a small saucepan on low heat, add butter until slightly.
- Add sugar, eggnog, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk together until the sugar had dissolved.
- Turn up the heat to medium and bring to a boil for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep an eye on it as it can overboil.
- Transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Whisk in the powdered sugar a little at a time until it gets to the consistency you want.
- If it becomes too thick add a little water to the mixture.
- Once cookies have cooled, drizzle the eggnog icing on the cookies.
- Let the icing dry for a few minutes before storing them.
We hope you all enjoy it! If you make this Chai Sugar Cookies with Eggnog Icing recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more cookie recipes? You can find them here.