Ice cream sandwiches have been a novelty for generations, and we know why because they are delicious. The beauty of ice cream sandwiches is that it can be pretty much anything.
You have the traditional ice cream sandwich which is two chocolate wafers with vanilla ice cream smacked in the center. You got the cookie ice cream sandwich, and one we grew up with that we had at our grandma’s house Neapolitan ice cream sandwich.
But one of our favorites is cookies and cream. You can usually find these at Target but lately, they have been hard to find so we decided to make our own. We got to say it is a lot easier than we thought and taste the same as the Oreo ones we get from the store.
Our version is a little different. For ours, we added homemade cookies and cream ice cream in between two chocolate waffles. This dessert is creamy, chocolaty, and delicious. The best part is you won’t need an ice cream maker.
Ready to make some ice cream sandwiches of your own? Trust us you will not buy the ones from the store again after making your own.
The ingredients you will need:
- One Egg Yolk
- An Egg White
- Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Instant Espresso
- Vegetable Oil
Tools you will need:
- Waffle Iron
- Two Metal Bowls
We are going to start with our chocolate waffles. These waffles are fluffy, chocolaty, and great for these ice cream sandwiches. The reason we are going to start with the waffles is that we want them a little more frozen.
Prep a waffle iron by spraying it with some non-stick cooking spray and preheat.
In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
In another bowl add the egg yolk, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract mix together until well combined.
Grabbing a medium bowl using either a hand mixer or a standing mixer beat the egg white until stiff peaks form.
Add the wet ingredients (except the egg white) into the dry ingredients. Mix together but be careful to not over mix.
Using a rubber spatula gently fold in the egg white until combined. Do not over mix.
Pour that batter into the waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron instructions.
Let the waffles cool for about 10 minutes. After they have cooled wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for 6–8 hours.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Before writing this post we did not have an ice cream maker so we hand to churn the ice cream mixture by hand. This method still makes the ice cream creamy and delicious, but it does take longer.
It may be a labor of love, but it is worth it.
In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, whisk together the egg, sugar, and milk. We are going to whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 175° (F).
Once it has reached 175°(F) remove the saucepan from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla extract and heavy cream until combined.
Pour the mixture into a metal bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
While the mixture is in the freezer, we are going to add the ice and salt into a larger metal bowl. This is going to act as our ice cream maker.
Place the smaller metal bowl directly on top of the ice and whisk constantly for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes place a bowl on top of both bowls and freezer for 30 minutes. You are going to repeat this step 4 times.
On the fourth and last time, you are then going to fold in the crushed up Oreos.
Remove the smaller bowl from the ice and freezer for 5–6 hours.
Assembling the ice cream sandwich:
After the ice cream has been in the freezer it is now time to assemble our ice cream sandwiches.
Tip: Grab a pie pan with some plastic wrap to place the waffles in. This will help minimize the ice cream mess.
Place one waffle in the pie pan and scoop the ice cream on top of the waffle. Spread the ice cream into an even layer.
Then place the other waffle on top. Wrap up with plastic wrap and freezer for 8 hours or overnight.
There you have it. Easy ice cream homemade cookies and cream ice cream sandwiches. This makes four ice cream sandwiches that you can share or keep for yourself (no judgment).
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 Cup + 2Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 8 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Instant Espresso
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Egg White
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Oreos, crushed
- Prepare a waffle iron by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and preheat.
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer or standing mixer beat the egg white until stiff peaks have formed; set aside.
- In another bowl add the egg yolk, vegetable oil, milk, vanilla extract. Whisk together until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients (except the egg white) into the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the egg white into the mixture until combined.
- Pour that batter into the hot waffle iron and cook according to waffle maker instructions.
- Let the waffles cool. Cover with plastic wrap & freeze for 6 - 8 hours.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat whisk together the milk, egg, and sugar.
- Whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 175° (F)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and heavy cream until combined.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a metal a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a larger metal bowl add the ice and salt.
- Place the smaller metal bowl with the ice cream mixture right on top of the ice.
- Whisk for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes cover both bowls with a towel and freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat this step 3 more times.
- After repeating the previous step a total of 4 times remove the small bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours.
Assembling the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- In a pie pan with plastic wrap place one of the waffles in the pan.
- Scoop the ice cream on top of the waffle and spread evenly.
- Place the second waffle on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
We hope you enjoyed this Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Sandwich recipe! Did you try this recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram @wonderandcharm or use the hashtag #wonderandcharm. We would love to see your photos.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? You can find them here.